These islands in northern Norway, bordering the Arctic Circle, have become famous for being some of the best places in the world to see the Northern Lights; there is much more to see here though! Incredible views, mountains that plunge into the sea, frozen lakes and villages that seem to come straight out of a fairy tale. Unfortunately, with words I can not manage to convey the beauty of these places, and even less to make you feel that sense of happiness and amazement that you can really feel there! So, why not follow me in an unforgettable adventure, in these magical places, trying to capture their essence with photography?
!!!!! NEW DATES AVAILABLE FOR 2018/2019 !!!!!
First Departure: 12/01/2019 – 18/01/2019
Second Departure: 19/01/2019 – 25/01/2019
Third Departure: 02/02/2019 – 08/02/2019 CONFIRMED
Fourth Departure: 16/02/2019 – 22/02/2019
- Day 1:
Arrival at Evenes Airport (Harstad / Narvik); after all the participants have arrived, we will head towards the small town of Svolvaer, in the heart of the Lofoten islands! It’s where we will spend our first night; according to the timing, we will see if we can make a first photo session at sunset. One thing is for sure: after settling down and having stuffed our stomach with some Norwegian local dishes, we will be out again in the hope of having a first meeting with the green lady!
- Day 2:
After a morning session at “dawn” (in this period of the year the sun is always low on the horizon and there isn’t a real sunrise and sunset phase, there are only hours of warm and spectacular light!) we will continue southwards entering into what is in fact the most characteristic and evocative part of the archipelago; we will use as a base Ballstad or Leknes, two small villages that represent the beating heart of this area. Needless to say, in the evening we will return to hunt the Northern Lights again!
- Day 3:
We will continue the exploration, started the previous day, of the area around Leknes, between the famous beaches of Uttakleiv and Haukland and some lesser known gems of these areas. Trust me, the locations in this area are certainly not lacking!
- Day 4:
We will move to the southern tip of the archipelago, in the area of the characteristic villages of Reine and Hamnoy, or in places that have made these islands famous! We will have the opportunity to finally photograph the famous red houses perched at the foot of incredible mountains in a context that define “picturesque” is an understatement.
- Day 5:
We will dedicate another day to the exploration of this area, in search of different points of view and to discover locations a bit more off the tourist path to really experience the atmosphere of peace that can be found in these places. Like every evening, weather permitting we’ll stay out hunting for the Northern Lights!
- Day 6:
Unfortunately, we begin to drive back to come closer to the airport, considering the departure of the day after; we will drive once again in one of the most evocative roads of this Earth and we will stay not far from the airport for the night.
- Day 7:
Time to say goodbye, unfortunately! The tour ends and the participants will be taken to the airport to be able to take their flights back home.
* The program may be subject to slight variations due to force majeure.
To Whom The Tour is Addressed
I would recommend a tour like this to those who think they are at a beginner / intermediate stage and want to increase their skills in the field of landscape photography, as I think there would be a much greater personal growth, but logically everyone is welcome!
N. of Participants: min.4 – max.8
Difficulty: Easy / Moderate
Generally speaking, here you should find a list of goals, such as “photographing the aurora borealis”, “catch an incredible sunset over Skagsanden”, etc., trying to convince you that these are the only aims (or at least, the ones that matter) of the workshop you will take with me. They are not. The main objective of the trip is not only to help you “make beautiful photos”, but to increase your photographic skills, starting from the most technical part to end up on the most expressive part. You will learn how to balance the two parts and get exactly the photos you have in mind. This is the goal that I set for the trip, to make you grow, photographically speaking, as much as possible, trying to teach you everything I’ve learned since I photograph!
- Accommodations for all the trip
- Instructions by a professional landscape photographer
- Postproduction Workshops
- Pre/Post Workshop Assistance
- Medical Insurance
- E-Book “Aurora Borealis: The Ultimate Hunting Guide”
What’s not Included?
- Airline Tickets
- Visas (if applicable)
- Single Supplement (300€)
- Everything that’s not mentioned in the “What’s Included” list
What to bring (camera equipment):
- Digital Camera (preferably a DSLR camera, both an APS-C and FF will be more than fine)
- An ultrawide lens (such as the Nikon 14-24mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tamron 15-30mm, Tokina 16-28mm etc); we recommend a lens with a wide maximum aperture (like f/2.8) for night photography.
- A standard zoom lens (like the various Nikon/Canon/Sigma 24-70mm or 24-105mm)
- A telephoto zoom lens (like the various Nikon/Canon/Tamron/Sigma 70-200mm)
- A super telephoto zoom lens (like the Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm); this lens is not necessary but we recommend it anyway since it allows to capture the far away details of the landscapes
- A sturdy tripod that permits to do some long exposure photos, specially during the twilight hour
- A set of ND filters; these are the only filters we feel to recommend, since they become useful when you need to stretch the exposure time a little bit during some difficult light conditions
- A camera remote to avoid blurry shots
What to bring (clothing):
- A few weeks before your departure, we will contact you suggesting the best clothes to bring with you basing on the weather forecasts and the current temperatures, so that you will be perfectly equipped by the time of you arrival!
You can decide whether to pay the full amount at the moment of the reservation or to pay just a deposit and give the rest within two months before the departure. In case of failure to reach the minimum people to confirm the workshop, the paid amount will be given back in full.